Alive? Happy? Grins?
What makes me feel excited?
- Winning a poker hand
- Solving math
- Getting a girl’s number
- Understanding a concept in a new way (eg Physics, Math, Self)
- Getting compliments and A’s
What doesn’t make me feel excited?
- Celebrating holidays or birthdays
What do they have in common?
- Probabilistic/Uncertain outcome
- Reward if won, costs otherwise
- Baseline is common failure
- Takes intentional and persistent effort
Is it all about doing “something that’s worth struggling for”?
From Man’s search for meaning by Viktor Frankl. Is it all about a cause that we inately feel worthy of our time, that we struggle for?